I’ve been sick for the past week, and I hate it. The stuffy nose, congested head, fever and aches, coughing … you name it, I just want it all to go away!
But the worst part is how far behind I’ve fallen on work. First I was traveling for a week, and then I got sick almost as soon as I returned home. So that’s two full weeks out of the office. (I’m writing this from home, in case you’re wondering.)
Every day I say I hope I can get back there, and every day it doesn’t happen – I wake up feeling way too lousy!
The worst part of not being able to work is how out of control I feel. And that gave me the thought that led me to write this email.
Are YOU Out of Control?
That’s the question you’ve got to ask yourself, at least as it applies to your sales career: Are you out of control?
More specifically, do YOU control what your sales numbers are going to be each month? Or do you leave it to chance, luck, and hope?
Baylor University recently released the results of a new study on cold calling, and it was ugly. I won’t go into all the details here but the bottom line was this:
Experienced salespeople typically spend 7.5 hours cold calling per each qualified appointment set. (The key word is QUALIFIED – meaning not just anyone who agrees to meet with you, but rather, someone who has a high probability of buying.)
I’ve quoted numerous studies and statistics to prove that cold calling is dead, but this most recent one really takes the cake. It goes to show that salespeople who continue to depend on cold calling as their lead source are … out of control.
When you’re cold calling, you’re essentially gambling. You’re leaving your odds of making a sale completely to chance and luck – the chance that the person you’re calling on at random needs your product, is in a buying cycle for it, can pay for it, and isn’t one of the 4 out of 5 who automatically rejects all cold calls.
(By the way, Baylor University put that number at 72% while the University of North Carolina put it at 80%. Either way, it’s horrible.)
The bottom line is this: If you’re cold calling, you have zero self-determination as to what your sales numbers will look like any given day, week, or month.
Don’t Be Out of Control!
Becoming a hugely successful salesperson, one who does control his or her outcome, means that cold calling isn’t an option.
You need to use effective, intelligent methods that accomplish two things:
1. Gain access to those 4 out of 5 prospects who won’t take cold calls. As long as the cold callers are all fighting over the same 20% of the market, that leaves 80% ripe for the picking, if you know how to get to them!
2. Get hot, qualified prospects who are ready, willing, and able to buy your product or service – people who are ready to buy right now – coming to you.
Sure, it may sound hard, but it’s not. If you would just throw away all those sales books written by self-proclaimed "experts" who are still teaching 1980s sales puke, and would open your mind and learn how to use the Internet, Social Media, get good at networking and serving others before expecting to GET anything first, you'll be able to stop cold calling forever, and your sales career will soar!
New York Times best-selling author Frank Rumbauskas is the author of the Never Cold Call Again® System and has won numerous accolades, such as Readers Choice for Business Book of the Year from 800-CEO-READ, and has been named one of Fast Company’s top 30 most influential people online. To learn more, and to download a free 37-page PDF preview of his Never Cold Call Again lead-generation system, visit http://www.nevercoldcall.com